Souffle Omelet & Cornbread Muffins

Saturday 19 May 2018


I wanted to do a bit of a brunch/breakfast today to celebrate the Royal Wedding.  Something which incorporated traditions from both sides of the pond, and I have been having a good hard think about it all week.  I wanted to include something very American along with something quite British and, by Jove! I think I cracked it. NO pun intended! 


The American bit includes lovely Buttermilk Corn Muffins, pan fried potatoes and fresh berries.  The corn muffins are baked in heart shaped muffin tins, because, after all  . . .  it is a wedding day.  They are moist and delicious, but a tad bit unusual in that they are topped with candied corn! 


It really is a special touch. These muffins are so moist and delicious, you are guaranteed to love them!


The British side of the menu incorporates Pigs in Blankets,  grilled tomatoes, and a beautifully light as air Herbed Souffle Omelet! I've also included fresh raspberries because you need to have some fruit don't you and our chosen tipple is elderflower cordial mixed with sparkling water, but you can certainly drink whatever you want with this. Fuzzy navels if you do alcohol might be nice. We don't. Do alcohol that is. 



You can find my recipe for the pan fried potatoes here. Failing having cooked potatoes in the refrigerator, feel free to use tinned new potatoes, drained well, sliced thin and patted dry.  Works a charm. 


For the pigs in blankets, simply wrap cocktail-sized chipolata sausages with bacon  and bake them in a hot oven for about 25 minutes until golden. You can do this and then then throw the omelet together and pop it in for the last few minutes of them cooking. I also threw the grilled tomato in with the pigs in blankets. Just cut a medium vine-ripened tomato in half through the middle and place it onto the baking sheet with the pigs, cut sides down, halfway through their bake time. 



Altogether it makes for a really lovely little brunch/breakfast, just to whet your whistle and get you all set up for the big do. Todd really enjoyed this.  It was perfectly ample just for two people, with plenty of corn muffins leftover to munch on while we are watching the wedding, with maybe a nice hot cuppa and some jam for spreading. Yes, I rock that way.  Jam and corn muffins to me, go together like peas and carrots. It is the North American in me that loves that sweet/salty combination! 


I even went out in the garden and picked a small vase of whatever wildflowers I could find.  Primrose, bluebells and daisies. I think Meghan would approve. 


Just look at how nice and light and fluffy that omelet is, and I have to say  . . .  if I don't say so myself, DELICIOUS! In all truth I could not finish it all.  I did finish the corn muffin however.  They are one of my weaknesses . . . especially when they are as tasty as these ones are!  Adapted from a recipe found in The Gathering of Friends Volume 2.



*Sweetheart Cornbread Muffins*
makes 10 - 12 muffins

Deliciously moist heart shaped cornbread muffins topped with candied sweetcorn kernels. 


145g sweet corn kernels (1 cup)
120g + 1 TBS butter (1/2 cup + 1 TBS)
125g of granulated sugar +1 TBS (2/3 cup + 1 TBS)
2 large free range eggs
240ml buttermilk (1 cup)
1/2 tsp baking soda
170g cornmeal (1 cup)
140g plain flour (1 cup)
1/2 tsp salt   
 


 
Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a 12 cup heart shaped muffin tin.  Set aside. 

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sugar and corn  Cook and stir over high heat for 2 to 3  minutes, until the corn starts to brown. Remove from the heat. 

Melt the 120g butter (1/2 cup) and whisk in the sugar.  Beat in the eggs until well blended.  Stir in the buttermilk.  Whisk together the soda, cornmeal and flour.  Stir into the wet mixture, just to combine. Divide between the prepared muffin cups.  Sprinkle a portion of the candied corn over top of each. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Serve warm.


*Herbed Souffle Omelet*
Serves 2

As light as air and a quick and simple make, so long as you don't overcook them.  Timings are pretty solid so DO follow them. Very pretty and quite delicious! 

3 large free range eggs, separated
pinch of salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 TBS butter
1 TBS finely chopped fresh herbs (Use your favourite combination, I used
oregano, basil, chives and thyme)
60g sour cream (1/2 cup)
2 TBS milk 


Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Use a 10 inch oven proof non-stick with sloping sides. (If your skillet has a plastic handle, cover the handle with foil.) Warm your plates. 


Briskly beat the egg yolks to break it up. Whisk together the egg whites with an electric whisk, along with a pinch of salt, until they are stiff but not dry.  Fold into the egg yolks. 



Melt the butter in the skillet over nigh heat. As soon as the butter begins to foam, pour in the eggs. Spread the egg out with a spatula to cover the bottom. Cook for about 1 minute, until the bottom is golden brown.  Bang the skillet into the oven and cook for about 3 minutes until it is set. It should be spongy, but still moist.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle 2 tsp of the herbs down the centre of the omelet and spoon all but 2 TBS of the sour cream over the herbs.  




Whisk the remaining sour cream with the milk. Fold the omelet in half.  Spoon the milk/sour cream mixture over the omelet and sprinkle with the remaining herbs. Serve immediately. 



I am on pins and needles until I see the dress.  We will be watching all of the festivities from the best seats in the country, on our sofa in front of the telly.  




The excitement over this wedding is really tangible. I was watching the news people today speak to a few people in the crowds gathering around the Windsor wedding route, from both sides of the pond and there is a real feeling of happiness and gaiety in abundance!  You just have to smile. 


With all that is negative in this world, this wedding is a lovely spot of sunshine and positivity. I am sorry that Meghan's dad isn't well enough to walk her down the aisle, but well pleased that Prince Charles has stepped up to do the Honor.  It says a lot about how much she is already loved by the Royal family.  I wish them all the happiness in the world.   







10 comments

  1. Have just watched snippets..She looked beautiful.So beautifull simple.I can think of over the top brides..and I cringe..this one..beautiful.I loved that she walked down the aisle alone ..it must have ben a surprise as I had read Charles was walking..
    On the news they are showing a home here on the west island....you should see the party..life size cardboard royals..all the royal family..framed..all the guests dressed as if at the wedding..the spread..just like you would make.. the flowers..buntings..Ohmygosh;)Your meal looks fab..and I am so happy for you that you have completed book 2:)Kudos Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful wedding Monique. I cried tears of joy. Diana would have been so proud. This is such a sensible young couple and they are clearly very much in love. It was not a spectacle, but a very simple and down to earth wedding. Loved every minute of it! xo

      Delete
  2. Marie..I have seen conflicting videos..did Charels walk her down or not? Fun seeing some of the guests too..Charlotte♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She walked the first part in her own and then Prince Charles walked her the rest of the way to Harry! Loved seeing the guests too, and all the pretty hats and dresses! Xo

      Delete
  3. Your photos are so good! And your cooking.....I can't believe that omelet. I thought it was a slice of cake at first. I only managed a batch of cream puffs for my "royal breakfast" this morning...Happy Royal Wedding Day! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Andrea! It’s a really easy make! Trust me! Happy Wedding Day!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, sensitive post Marie! I love the Wedding Brunch you came up with and will try all of these lovely items. Pigs in Bacon Blankets, Yummo! Much better than wrapping in a Crescent Roll!! :) The omelet is amazing, as are the Corn Muffins. My husband is a particular favorite of fried potatoes and omelets for special occasions, so this is straight up the right alley for him!! I do have a question about how much sugar you add to the candied corn? 2 TBSP(?) then 1/2 cup to the muffins? Amazing wedding and so fitting that you would add a Southern American dish to your wedding morning brunch. Thanks as always for the terrific recipes, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, there is 2/3 cup of sugar in the muffin batter and 1 TBS sugar to candy the corn! The wedding was so beautiful! I gobbled it up! Xo

      Delete
  5. The wedding was perfection! Everything I hoped for plus a whole lot more! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was my favourite Royal wedding of all time! I think probably because it was a lot more relaxed! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!