Cheddar & Honey Mustard Muffins

Tuesday 1 May 2018


Many years ago when I was raising my family, I used to watch a television show on the PBS channel called Harrowsmith Country Life. I loved it. It was a lovely mix of all the things I embraced . . .  country life, bird watching, care of nature, gardening, wholesome food and cookery. I used to watch it and wish that I could live that type of life.  Out in the countryside, with my own big garden, living sustainably off the earth, close to nature, and all that. Mind you, when I was a really young women, still at school, I wanted to live in a commune, like a hippy. I think I had a romanticised notion of it all in my head that was a far distance from the reality.


What did I know about the world and life, not a lot really.  Just what I read or saw on the television.  Back in the 1990's I picked up this book at a second hand/cheap book shop in Meaford, Ontario.  Based on the column in the Harrowsmith magazine entitled Pantry, it is filled with lots of lovely, healthy, mother-earth type wholesome recipes.  I adapted the recipe that  I am sharing today from it's pages.



They sounded really delicious . . .  with plenty of cheese, honey mustard,  and liquid honey. Tim Horton's used to make a cheddar cheese muffin that was really good.  They has not been on offer in their cafes for a very long time, and I have spent years trying to replicate them. This comes close, but not quite there.  If anything they are better.


I think that is because of the liberal use of honey mustard, which adds a lovely tang and a warm colour to the mix. Back home I was addicted to Honey Cup Mustard, which is what I would use for these if I was there.  Today I used Maille Honey Mustard, which is very close to that brand, with lots of lovely honey in it.


They do tend to get browned and could easily look burnt if you don't watch them . . .  because of the honey and the cheese . . . just keep an eye on them.



The recipe calls for buttering the tins, no mention of using papers.  I used papers and regretted it because they did stick to the papers. DON'T be tempted to use papers.  Just DON'T!!


DO bake them however, because they are really lovely muffins, with a beautiful flavour and texture.


I just peeled the paper off as best as I could and we ate them anyways, and they were gorgeously flavoured.  A bit sweet, a lot savoury . . .  with some snap from the mustard.  Cheese and mustard, what a lovely combination!


These would go well with soups or salads or scrambled eggs.  They are a great muffin and I hope you will try them!!


*Cheddar & Honey Mustard Muffins*
Makes 12


This is a savoury muffin filled with the tang of honey mustard, some black pepper, sweet honey and the richness of a good cheddar.  Delicious! 


280g plain flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
120g grated strong cheddar cheese (1 cup sharp cheddar)
(Grate your own)
1 large free-range egg
3 TBS honey Dijon mustard
2 TBS liquid honey
300ml milk (1 1/4 cup)
65g butter, melted (1/4 cup)




Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/gas mark 6. Butter a 12 cup muffin tin really well. Don't be tempted to use paper liners. These will stick to papers.  Set aside.


Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Whisk in the salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the grated cheese.  Whisk together the egg, mustard, honey, milk and melted butter. Add to the dry ingredients and fold in gently, but thoroughly. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins.  Bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.  Serve warm.



These would make a great muffin for a Ploughman's Lunch.  With a bit of ham, some salad leaves, chutney . . .  I don't think you could get much better than that!  Bon Appetit!



4 comments

  1. Those look great! I keep picturing them alongside a bowl of good tomato soup. I'm a big fan of mustard, honey and sharp cheddar and I have all of these ingredients so I'm gonna try these out tonight. Yes, right now (10pm, the night is still young enough for good muffins)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannine! I hope you like them! You are so right they would be excellent with a nice hot bowl of tomato soup! Yum! xo

      Delete
  2. When I was groing up..I don't even remember honey mustard..now sooo many bands..love the stuff:)I hate when papers stick;)Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember honey mustard when I was growing up either Monique. Today the papers are coming off fine. It must just be when they are warm that they stick! You are welcome! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!