Guilt Free Chicken Strips & Sweet Potato Fries

Monday 12 February 2018







One thing I have always been rather fond of when we eat out at a fast food place are the chicken fingers/strips.  


At McDonalds you can get the with your choice of dips.  I always choose the sweet chili and the sour cream and then I double dip.  They are so delicious, but not very healthy I'll admit.










Neither are the chips that come along with them.  The recipe I am showing you today is a much healthier option! 



And, I believe, every bit as tasty, if not tastier! You won't even miss the dips!








Everything is baked instead of fried, and so you are virtually free to enjoy them without a lot of guilt!  



The chicken is marinated in buttermilk for several hours which helps to keep the meat moist and tender!!








After marinating they are rolled in nicely spiced cornflake crumbs to coat and then sprayed with a bit of cooking spray prior to baking which really crisps up the coating nicely!










The sweet potato fries are shaken in a bag with a bit of oil and spice . . .  and yes, baked along side of the chicken strips.  


I won't lie to you and say they are as crispy good as the deep fried ones, because in all honesty they are not, but they are still plenty tasty anyways, with lots of nicely spiced flavour from the use of onion and garlic powders and paprika. 


Once they are marinated coated, etc. the whole duo cooks relatively quickly in about 15 minutes.  Win/win I'd say!!!









*Guilt Free Chicken Strips & Sweet Potato Fries*
Serves 4 
 
 
Crisp and delicious with only a fraction of the fat and calories of the fried option.  Plan ahead as the chicken needs to marinate for several hours. 


1 pound chicken breast tenders (I like to remove the tough
tendon and discard)
240ml low fat buttermilk
non-stick cooking spray
340g sweet potato (3/4 pound)
2 TBS olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
65g cornflakes (2 1/2 cups)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 black pepper








Place the chicken tenders and buttermilk into a shallow bowl large enough to hold them.  Turn to coat in the buttermilk then cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours, giving them a turn every now and then.

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.  Line a large baking tray with aluminium foil.  Spray lightly with cooking spray.  Set aside.

Cut the sweet potato, lengthwise into chips. Peel or not as desired. (If keeping the peel, scrub really well.) Place them into a bowl and toss together with the olive oil, the 1/4 tsp garlic powder, salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper to coat evenly. Spread out onto the baking tray in an even layer, leaving space for the chicken.

Crush the cornflakes in a food processor or in a bag with a rolling pin.  Place them into a large plastic bag.  Add the remaining garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and black pepper.  Shake to combine. Add the chicken tenders, one at a time, and shake them in the bag to coat with the cornflake mixture generously, Place them on the baking sheet next to the sweet potatoes. Spray th chicken pieces with coking spray.

Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and no longer pink inside, and the fries are browned. (Turn the fries halfway through the cooking.)  Divide between four plates and serve immediately.






These are diabetic friendly and quite delicious, with approximately 35g carbs per serving, for both the chicken and the chips.  As a once in a while treat, they can be enjoyed almost guilt free, sans dips. The chicken strips are nice and crisp on the outside and yet tender and juicy inside. With a healthy serving of mixed vegetables on the side they went down really well!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. We were thinking along the same lines..Sat J made amazing pizzas..I eat a whole one..almost..so last night I made Skinnytaste's Baked Chicken Milanese:) I love baked chicken;) Looks good Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have made J's pizza sound so good just in your appetite for them! I love LOVE a good pizza. I have been really trying to eat healthier and am feeling a lot better for it. I have not had any chocolate in about 2 weeks now, a record for me! These were really good! xo PS I am going to have to look up the Skinnytaste recipe! xo

      Delete
  2. I think I'm going to burn out my printer with you today, Marie! These look wonderful and I almost always have chicken strips in the freezer. They cook up so fast for so many things. AND, I almost always have sweet potatoes. As a matter of fact, I have both now. Now I just need some buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them Jeanie! Let me know how you get on! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!