Dublin Coddle

Wednesday 17 January 2018






One place I haven't yet managed to visit yet since I moved over here to the UK, is the Republic of Ireland, which is what the Southern most part of Ireland is called.  



A country in its own right it is not a part of the United Kingom, like Northern Ireland is and Dublin is it's capital.  It is on my bucket list however and God willing one day I will get there!








This dish today is a traditional Irish dish from the Republic, and in particular the capital. Dublin coddle is  a warming meal of sausages and potatoes.



This is a recipe which dates back to the 1700s. It was traditionally thought of as a city dish which would be eaten in the winter months.







It is said that an Irish wife could go to bed and leave it simmering on the stove for hours. That was so that it might be ready when her husband arrived home from the pub and was wanting his dinner.  


Historically the dish is also a way of using up all the rashers of bacon and sausages on Thursday night before Friday, which in the Catholic faith the eating of meat is forbidden.








While researching this dish, I came across quite a few versions.  Some just included potatoes, onions, bacon and sausage.  



Others included other vegetables like carrots, and some had the inclusion of barley.  One thing they all had in common was the cooking of it in a pot on top of the stove.








I chose to cook my bacon and sausage first so that they were nicely browned.  This, for me, is very much  a visual thing, and for no other reason. 



I just don't find the sight of un-browned sausage or bacon very appealing to the appetite!  You don't need to cook them all the way through, just so they are golden brown on the outside.








The barley makes a lovely almost nutty addition.  You will want to check the stock levels as you are simmering it on top of the stove however.  



You will not want the pan to boil dry and the contents to catch.  I added a few herbs and the end result was fabulously delicious!









*Dublin Coddle*
Serves 4

 
A Coddle is a traditional Irish dish usually associated with the city of Dublin. Hearty and delicious it is a stew-type of dish created with good pork sausages, salty bacon, pearl barley, onions, potatoes and herbs. 

1 large onion, peeled and chopped
100g pearl barley (about 9 TBS)
6 rashers of streaky bacon
8 large thick good quality butchers sausages
2 - 3 large waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/3 inch thick slices
500ml chicken stock (scant 2 1/4 cups)
1 bay leaf
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp savoury
a generous knob of butter
Chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Crusty bread to serve







Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.  Place the sausages and bacon on a baking tray.  Cook them in the oven for 10 minutes or so until the bacon has started to crisp up and the sausages are coloured.  Remove and drain on paper toweling.


Take a medium flame proof casserole dish with a lid. (I use my enamel iron one).  Place the chopped onion in the bottom of the dish.  Top with the pearl barley.  Place the bay leaf on top. Cut up the bacon into squares and place over top of that and then the sausages over top of the bacon. Finish with a layer of potatoes.  Pour the chicken stock over top and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, savoury and thyme.  Cover and then bring to the boil over high heat.  Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, over low heat for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the lid and dot with butter.


Place, uncovered into the heated oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are golden.   Serve ladled into deep bowls, scattered with fresh parsley and with crusty bread on the side.







This was perfect for a cold Winter's day and a most delicious way to use up some sausages in my refrigerator that needed using up.  My husband really enjoyed this.  

I wager any man will.  It's hearty and satisfying and very tasty!  They say a glass of cold Guiness goes very well.  Ithe Shona! 

Enjoy!


9 comments

  1. I just discovered Dublin Coddle last year, and it has become my family's favorite. We had it tonight in fact! I had not heard of adding barley. Easy to adapt to the slow cooker, and it smells SO good while cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really fabulous Kath! In researching this I found many different versions. Some had carrots, others were pretty basic. All sounded delicious. It does smell heavenly! xo

      Delete
    2. Hi Kath, the recipe sounds delishus. Any way you can share the version for the slow cooker please? Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I love Dublin Coddle. I have made it a couple of times, but never heard of adding the barley. I have a couple of nice heavy Dutch Ovens that are perfect for this. Thanks Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The barley makes a lovely addition Raquel! I hope that you like it! xo

      Delete
  3. I bet the barley w/ the potatoes must be very good esp.w/ the bacon..I agree give me some color!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing worse than anemic looking meat Monique! Blah! It might taste the same (I have my doubts as to that) but the sight certainly puts one off! The barley and the potatoes are very good, and yes bacon, yum! xo

      Delete
  4. I have a feeling my other comment didn't post because I'd left this page open too long! Looks really good, especially for winter. And I am so with you on browning the meat. I do that almost all the time, just because I like the crustiness you sometimes get from searing it or the color for sure. And you don't need a lot of barley to get a lot of bang for the buck. Or maybe in this case, bangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the perfect winter meal Jeanie! Barley is one of my favourite grains! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!